Sustainable Investing - Opportunity Zone Investing for Impact Investors
Estimates of capital flowing into opportunity zone (OZ) investments range from $25 billion to $100 billion and McKinsey estimates that 230 qualified OZ funds are currently raising capital.
There is clearly a tremendous opportunity to help disadvantaged communities across the U.S. through the OZ program, and a unique opportunity for taxable investors to capture tax-advantaged returns. With opportunity there is also risk, the risk of a flood of capital moving into targeted areas leading to lower than expected financial returns, and the risk of less-than-thoughtful development that may leave communities worse off in the long run.
Interest in this area has exploded due to the well understood tax incentives built into the OZ program. Many of the funds being created and sold to investors are labeled as impact investments, yet there is little incentive for fund sponsors to create community ties that will lead to optimal financial and social returns.
- Steven Kennedy, Partner, PwC
- Elise Liberto, Private Equity Analyst, Brown Advisory
- Jay Ash, CEO, Massachusetts Competitive Partnership
- Secretary Mike Kennealy, Secretary of Housing and Economic Development
- Matt Camp, President and COO, ICIC
- Lauren Hult, Principal, Bridgespan
- Marcos Marrero, Director of Planning & Economic Development, City of Holyoke
Click here for speaker bios.
- Opportunity Zone Overview
- Fund Sponsor Perspective
- Government / Community Perspective
- Investor / Consultant Perspective
- 7:45 AM Registration Opens | Breakfast and Refreshments
- 8:00 AM Opening Comments | Andrew Wetzel
- 8:05 AM Opportunity Zone Program Overview | Steve Kennedy
- 8:30 AM Fund Sponsor Perspective | Elise Liberto
- 8:55 AM Government / Community Perspective | Jay Ash, Secretary Kennealy, Matt Camp, Marcos Marrero
- 9:50 AM Investor / Consultant Perspective | Lauren Hult
- 10:10 AM Networking
To accommodate our 8:00 program start time, we will be opening registration at 7:45 AM and the program will promptly start at 8:00 AM with opening comments.
Please note online registration is closed as building security requires all names in advance. Walk-ins will not be accomodated as this program is currently at capacity.
University of Massachusetts Club
1 Beacon St
32nd Floor - Boston Room
Boston, MA 02108
Description:Registration is $35.00
Breakfast, refreshments and coffee will be served.